Saturday, October 6, 2012

Dreams From My Father--Second Commentary



Dreams From My Father--Second Commentary

I am now at page 140 in President Obama’s book, Dreams From My Father.  I’ll write of my impressions so far as I try to get into the mind of the man and see what makes him tick. 

Chapter 7, Chicago, starts, “In 1983 (22 years old) I decided to be a community organizer….”  He talks about his bitterness of what’s going on in the country and his animus toward, “….Reagan and his minions carrying on their dirty deeds.”…. “Change will come from a mobilized grass roots.  That’s what I’ll do, I’ll organize black folks at the grass roots.  For change.”

Skipping ahead a couple of pages O writes, “Eventually a consulting house to multinational corporations agreed to hire me as a research assistant.  Like a spy behind enemy lines, I arrived every day at my mid-Manhattan office and sat at my computer terminal….”  After a half dozen pages into the Chicago chapter he relates that he resigned from the firm “…and began looking in earnest for an organizing job.”

A month later one of the companies he turned his resume’ into called him in for an interview.  He had a disdainful reaction to the plushly furnished corporate office of the director who was very impressed
with the young Columbia College student.  The director was especially impressed that he had corporate experience.  He offered Barack the job right on the spot.  It involved organizing conferences on drugs, unemployment, housing.  But Barack declined his “generous offer.”  He wanted to get a job closer to the streets. 

After about six months and being flat broke, he received a call from Marty Kaufman.  He started an organizing drive in Chicago and was looking for a trainee.  They arranged to meet at a coffee shop a week later on Lexington Avenue.  O said, “His appearance didn’t inspire much confidence.”  He described him as being a white man of medium height wearing a rumpled suit over a pudgy frame and having two day old whiskers, behind a pair of thick wire rimmed glasses and his eyes seemed to be set in a perpetual squint.

The man opened their conversation:  “‘So,’ Marty said, ‘Why does somebody from Hawaii want to be an organizer?’”  After Barack answered him, this followed:  “‘Hmmph,’ he nodded, taking notes on a dog-eared legal pad.  ‘You must be angry about something.’”    

“‘What do you mean by that?’”

“He shrugged.  ‘I don’t know what exactly.  But something.  Don’t get me wrong – anger’s a requirement for the job.  The only reason anybody decides to be an organizer.  Well adjusted people find more relaxing work.’”

----------------------------------------

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that people with an inferiority complex that come into positions of power can be dangerous.  You wouldn’t think of Obama as having an inferiority complex with all that he has going for him but when you read this book you see every so often  that he’s having an identity crisis.  Everything is seen through the prism of race.  Here’s a passage in an earlier part of the book:

Speaking of his Occidental freshman classmate, Joyce, he says, “One day I asked her if she was going to the Black Students’ Association meeting.  She looked at me funny, then started shaking her head like a baby who doesn’t want what it sees on the spoon.

(O describes Joyce as being a good looking woman with green eyes and honey skin and pouty lips “and all the brothers were after her.”)

‘I’m not black,’ Joyce said. ‘I’m multiracial.’  Then she started telling me about her father, who happened to be Italian and was the sweetest man in the world; and her mother, who happened to be part African and part French and part Native American and part something else.  ‘Why should I have to choose between them?’ she asked me.  Her voice cracked and I thought she was going to cry.  ‘It’s not white people who are making me choose.  Maybe it used to be that way, but now they’re willing to treat me as a person.  No—it’s black people who always have to make everything racial.  They’re the ones making me choose.  They’re the ones who are telling me I can’t be who I am….’

They, they, they.  That was the problem with people like Joyce.  They talk about the richness of their multicultural heritage and it sounded real good, until you noticed that they avoided black people.”

Did Joyce’s freshman classmate hear anything she said?

----------------------------------------

You see in reading this book why it is that you hear speeches like the one candidate Obama made in 2007 following Katrina.  Fox News repeated once again on the Harris Faulkner show Friday night October 5th that the Candidate running for the presidency in 2007 was not exactly telling it like it was when he charged that the Bush Administration was neglecting to come to the aid of the people in New Orleans that needed the government’s help.  Faulkner once again reported that the Stafford law WAS suspended ten days before Obama made that speech, opening the way for the government to send forty billion dollars for recovery aid to Louisiana.  He knew the government sent that aid.  But Obama deals in perceptions.  He knows his blind followers do not pay a lot of attention to what is going on and they’ll believe anything he tells them. 

You feel that when you read the part of the book I just came through that Obama can’t just see himself as a colorless American dedicated to the great nation God-guided founders gave us.  No, it’s as if he feels he’s a victim of being a black man in a white man’s world.  You get the feeling he has a score he wants to settle. 

     

No comments: